In 2018, the world population stands at 7.6 billion. This is significant given that just over two centuries ago, in 1800, there were just 1 billion people on this planet. With the rate of population growth at1.1%, it is predicted that the global population will reach 8.6 billion by 2030.
Rapid population growth leads to the depletion of natural resources. The earth cannot produce infinite resources for everyone, every day. Population growth is putting pressure on resources such as water, food, energy, and biodiversity, thus seriously impacting not just the current well-being of the planet and the people, but also that of the future generations.
Threat to the soil
As stated by Factbook, about 70% of the earth’s surface is covered by water, with the remaining land mass of about 30% accommodating the 7.6 billion people.. However, this remaining land also consists of areas such as forests, deserts, and volcanoes, leaving the inhabitants even a lesser amount of usable land. With the rapidly growing population and limited resources, people are being forced to make the choices which destroy the environment.
Climate change and soil
As the European Environmental Agency highlights, the impact of climate change on soil is important, yet often neglected. Changes in temperatures and rainfall can negatively impact the soil’s moister and organic matter. While the negative impacts of climate change on soil vary from region to region, it particularly threatens the world’s most vulnerable nations. Yet, sustainable use of soil, and the restoration of soil ecosystems can help mitigate the negative impacts of climate change. Healthy soil can help store carbon and decrease the emissions of the harmful greenhouse gases into the earth’s atmosphere.
Soil erosion control and horticultural products
At CoirGreen, we manufacture and supply a range of products to help meet soil erosion and horticultural needs. 100% natural and biodegradable, our products are environmentally-friendly. We take extra care in ensuring that our products meet the highest industry standards and customer satisfaction, as we work towards our vision of promote sustainable practices. We are committed to helping our clients keep their soil healthy, avoiding soil erosion and improving vegetation.